AHCPMG304 Use firearms to humanely destroy animals
This unit of competency describes the skills and knowledge required to euthanise animals using firearms and techniques appropriate for the type and mobility of the animal.
The unit applies to individuals who hold a valid firearms license and work under broad direction and take responsibility for their own work.
They use discretion and judgement in the selection, allocation and use of available resources and for solving problems.
State or territory licensing, legislative or certification requirements apply in some jurisdictions. Destruction of pest animals must comply with state animal cruelty legislation.
Available Units of Competency
· AHCPMG304 Use firearms to humanely destroy animals (Elective)
Entry Requirements / Pre-Requisites
Strict eligibility criteria is specified on this program per Weapons Act Legislation
· Possess a Current Weapons (Firearms) License from your State/Territory
· Have a thorough understanding of animal control and wildlife welfare responsibilities
· Have a thorough understanding and demonstrated application of Safe responsible firearms ownership
· Have a current Driver’s License
· No previous violations or orders that would preclude participation as an unfit person as specified in the relevant State/Territory Weapons Act and Regulations.
· Be familiar with and demonstrate field application of Risk Management and mitigation strategies
· Current Firearms Licence endorsed with both categories and activities being assessed is required. Practical assessment is a key part of the competency assessment.
Qualification Structuring Rules
Unit: 1 Unit - AHCPMG304- Use firearms to humanely destroy animals
Face to face, workplace assisted and remote delivery support strategies available.
1 - 2 Days depending on student & client requirements, worksite workshop delivery linked to worksite operational employment activities supported by Trainer/Assessor visits. Each client’s requirements being considered, some homework activity and student time management will be important to ensure we maintain the volume of learning requirements on this qualification.
Assessment is facilitated by undertaken by our expert environmental firearms instructor/s with qualifications, certifications and a background in humane, ethical, environmental animal management.
Safe transport, operation and storage of firearms will be assessed as part of this unit along with accuracy, technique and demonstrated application of core principles in the field for humane ethical animal management techniques.
Cost is determined based on the individual student requirements, assessment strategy and any potential funding applicable.
As an indicative guide the following options are available with this program:
· Qld User Choice Program Eligible - No
· Qld Certificate III Guarantee Eligible Program - No
· Non-Funded Full Course Fee - $750
· RPL Assessment Fee - N/A
Full details of fees and charges are available from Ballistic Training Solutions by contacting one of our consultants to discuss your individual requirements.
On successful completion you will receive a Nationally recognised Statement of Attainment.
This program is part of the AHC 3.0 Agriculture, Horticulture and Conservation and Land Management Training Package and links to further qualifications at the Certificate II, Certificate III, Certificate IV and Diploma levels.
· Primary Producers
· Research Officers / Wildlife Officers
· Professional Shooters
· Shooters engaging in environmentally sustainable hunting or pest management activities
Summary of Learning & Competency Outcomes
· how to find the pertinent information in the organisation's pest management plan
· the environmental hazards and risks associated with the shoot
· the safety hazards and risk management strategies associated with the shoot
· how to check and prepare the firearm and ammunition
· how to check a target animal that has been fired on to ensure it is dead
· anatomy and physical features and vulnerable sites, or humane points on target animal
· procedures for the safe handling of carcases required for research or commercial use
· procedures for the safe disposal of animal carcases not required for other purposes
· reporting and recording procedures required by the pest management plan
· location and boundaries for the shoot
· habitats, habits and range of movement of target animals
· personal protective equipment required for the shoot
· application of the 1996 National Firearms Agreement to the licensing, storage and use of firearms
· firearm and ammunition types recommended for the target animal
· State and territory gun control laws, acts and regulatory requirements relating to the use of firearms to humanely destroy animals
· the basic requirements for ensuring the welfare of animals described in the relevant Codes of Practice
· prevention of cruelty to animals legislation applicable to destruction of animals
· basic requirements for biosecurity in the context of destruction of animals
· operate a firearm safely in accordance with statutory requirements
· zero and test fire the firearm safely at a range under supervision at a distance that is commensurate with the target animals to be destroyed
· stow the firearm safely for transport
· clean, maintain and store firearms safely and in accordance with statutory requirements
· check target animal is dead and euthanise immediately, if necessary, according to relevant animal welfare codes of practice
· use personal protective equipment to handle carcases to prevent contracting zoonotic diseases
· apply work health and safety policies and procedures at all times
· apply biosecurity measures when handling, transporting or disposing of carcases
· apply appropriate sustainability practices in the context of own work
Where to from here
If you a pest management specialist in need of updating your skills and certification, a new shooter establishing a feral animal control business or a Conservation and Land Management specialist looking to upgrade your skills contact the Team at Ballistic Training Today! We provide the highest levels of service and support to our clients with a delivery team t